At just 18 years old Neave Zaria is an emerging star: a bright up and coming artist from just outside London. She’s been singing from a very young age and has been creating quite a buzz to industry ears- so much so that she was invited to attend X Factor bootcamp aged just 14. Despite the producers attempts to change her mind, Neave turned it down and instead went on her planned school trip to Mongolia, which was one of the best experiences of her life. Since then Neave has been fine tuning her sound and recording her own music, getting ready to bring it to the world entirely on her own terms. If I See You is her debut single – out now. So young and so talented- we decided to find out more with a Take 5…
When did you realise that you wanted to be a music artist? What or who has inspired you ?
I’ve always wanted to be involved in music, going through instrument lessons and teaching myself different things I realised that this was something I was good at – and that was a nice feeling! When I was approached by my now producer Chas to write some music together and we came up with this first song, I started to believe that this was something that could really develop. When someone recognises you for who you really are, its a nice feeling! People believe in me and it’s given me confidence and determination. My instinct is that I was made to sing and that is what Im going to do.
Who, living or dead, would you dream of collaborating with?
I would love to collaborate with Maverick Sabre. His tone is outstanding; his voice is so silky I’ve always loved it. His recent collab with Jorja Smith is something else and I remember knowing his music when he was unknown. I thought it was amazing and then BAM he got big. His persistence and love for music is what got him there and being passionate is something I can really relate to.
Tell us about your single –’If I See You ‘- what is the song about?
It’s about relationships, and how time can be a great healer and change the way you feel, but never who you are deep down.
Tell us five things you love about the city/town you live in, and why……
1. It’s so diverse. There are so many different people with different personalities. You can chat to anyone and end up being with them for hours on end talking about absolutely anything.
2. It’s quite small. So no matter where you go you are always seeing familiar faces – never a down day.
3. Entertainment. From quiet pool bars and retro coffee shops to busy, bustling clubs – it has everything to suit your mood.
4. The nature. There are so many local nature reserves and beautiful places to walk and run. Sometimes it’s just nice to walk all the way to the top of the park you can see for miles, not hear a single car engine, see a single building. Just yourself, singing away into the wind. It’s peaceful.
5. Family. My family and I all live really close and they are the most important people in my life. It’s comforting to have them nearby and support me so much with everything Im doing.
What are you most looking forward to this year?
I’m just looking forward to everyone being well and happy again! I was going to say summer as I have Lovebox, Paris, SW4 and Barbados planned but now this major pandemic is happening, most of my plans will be cancelled. Its a shame but I just hope everyone will be safe and well enough to enjoy a gin and tonic when the pub gardens reopen! I can’t wait to get back into the studio, carry on recording new material, releasing music and continuing to develop my style. Getting some nice summer outfits for trips to the beach and singing around a barbecue would be great too!