Canadian artist and intuitive reader Audra Santa has released her debut UK single entitled ‘Naked’ – out now The track has been taken from her forthcoming EP, ‘The Boudoir Project’, a collection of sensual, downtempo electronica that was a personal mode of self-expression she thought she would never share with anyone. Intriguing. We decided to find out more about Audra Santa with a Take 5…
When did you realise that you wanted to be a music artist? What or who has inspired you?
I started writing music on the piano when I was about 8, but I didn’t really think of myself as an artist until my mid twenties. I was a worship leader in a church and my bass player used the word “artist” to describe me. It felt uncomfortable, but they kept insisting that’s what I was, and pushed me to start performing my own music and join my first band. It was then I decided I wanted to be an artist and actually pursue music.
I have been so inspired by musical collaborators who have come into my life at different times and pushed me forward. AL my bass player was the first, then Amon (my musical partner for a few years), and then a series of three different producers, with each one helping me connect deeper to the artist inside and learn to trust my own instincts.
Who, living or dead, would you dream of collaborating with?
I have found the greatest magic in collaborating with different producers, especially those who create an atmosphere I can lose myself in. Danger Mouse is a musical alchemist I’d love to work with. I even used to have a cat named Danger Mouse! Sadly I lost him in my divorce. So if someone out there could hook me up with Danger Mouse the producer I’d be a little less sad about never seeing my cat again. He was orange and fluffy and used to sit on his butt like a little person.
Tell us about your single –‘Naked’- what is the song about?
I wrote “Naked” as I was rediscovering my power and exploring sensual expression. I had come out of an unhealthy marriage and decade of repressing my own thoughts and desires, so there was a lot bubbling up inside of me as I brought it forward to be healed. “Naked” is about wanting someone so badly that hearing their voice is almost enough. Sound can become tangible when paired with desire. But really, desire is something we meet inside of ourselves and that’s what writing this song did for me. I produced, directed, and edited the music video which features me dripping in honey, a metaphor for that desire. It was the most creatively satisfying thing I have ever done. I can’t wait for everyone to see it.
Tell us five things you love about the city/town you live in – Toronto- and why……
- The diversity. Toronto is one of the most diverse cities in the world and there are so many different languages and cultures
- My neighbourhood. I live by a park called Trinity Bellwoods and it’s an oasis in the middle of the city. The rich Indigenous history and culture in the region. Many people are unaware of this and so much was lost and stolen through colonization and residential schools. A good place to start is to learn about the land we’re on and who it really belongs to.
- The music scene. My experience of the music scene has been incredibly supportive and there is so much talent here!!
- Food. There is SO MUCH good food. I spend way too much on eating out, so I’m kind of glad that I’ve had to stay home lately.
- The seasons. I lived in Australia for ten years to escape the winter, but there is really such a nice rhythm to life when you embrace all the seasons and what they bring.
What are you most looking forward to this year?
My life has completely changed in the last few months. The quarantine put a pause on life as I knew it and gave me an opportunity to reevaluate everything. A European tour WAS what I was most looking forward to, but now I’m changing course. Creatively, I’m looking forward to the next single and video (I have ideas brewing already!) On a more personal level, I have started a new endeavour offering Intuitive Channeled Readings as well as Intuitive/Spiritual mentoring. Although it’s always been a gift I’ve functioned in, I have started to see, hear, and feel more clearly than I ever have. I look forward to seeing how it comes through my music.
If anyone is interested in connecting with me about this intuitive work they can find me on instagram @littlecopperlighthouse.