Who is Juiceboxxx? Juiceboxxx is the best kind of crazy–an appropriate term for the interesting times in which we live–which is to say: insatiably creative and working with positivity in the face of darkness. Music is, as Juice himself says, essential, and for life. And no one else on earth is approaching it quite like him. On 10th May he is set to release a brand new single “Coinstar Song” via Dangerbird Records. This guys sounds like someone we’d like to know more from- let’s ‘Take 5’:
When did you realise that you wanted to do what you do? What or who has inspired you ?
Very young. I started Juiceboxxx when I was 15. Before that, I played drums in punk bands. This has been a lifelong thing for me. People come and go but I’m still here. It still means the world.
Who, living or dead, would you dream of collaborating with?
Bruce Springsteen, Chuck D, Kim Deal.
Tell us about your single ‘Coinstar Song’– what’s it all about?
The Coinstar is an American machine that converts your change into cash. I use them all the time so I can have a bit of extra money to buy fast food. As for the song, I wanted to write something about my life that is relatable and also, hopefully, really catchy.
You are from Milwaukee. Tell us five things about the place we should know about:
- Kopp’s Custard and Burgers: Ultimate Milwaukee food. Absurdly rich, truly world class.
- Neon Hunk: my favorite Milwaukee band of all-time. Masked two piece that played cute, terrifying synth punk in the early 2000s.
- Circle A: tiny punk bar near my old apartment that does shows and has a perfect, cozy atmosphere. I don’t even drink anymore but I’ll still go there.
- Cactus Club: Best small club in the city, best sound in the city. A lot of history. Probably the venue I have played the most shows in, full stop.
- The General Store: legendary tiny art gallery and shop in the early/mid 2000s that also hosted noise shows. I threw a teen dance party there when I was still in high school.
What are you most looking forward to this year?
Playing shows, putting out the record, working on other projects like the “boutique” label I run (Thunder Zone) and my newsletter/vlog/radio show (The Boxxx Report). Just continuing to do it.